Happening on the Chessie
Throughout the year, we put on a number of events for our community. With a selection ranging from bird watching to biking, we hope there's something that will pique your interest. In addition to the listing here, Chessie Trail events can be found on our Facebook page.
- September 30, 2023 at 6:30pm: Back by popular demand! Friends of the Chessie Trail invites you to join us as we recreate the old-time dance hall that once partied on the banks of the Maury River. Legend says people danced all night until the train finally had to back down the track to take them home. We won't dance all night - but we'll have a great time! Join us at Jordan's Point Pavilion. Music by the Mackenzies. Potluck Dinner - bring a dish to share. See you there!
- November 4, 2023: Annual Chessie Trail Marathon, Relay, Half Marathon, 10K, & 5K
- April 23, 2023 at 1pm: Children's Fun Run! More info here. Sign up here.
- March 18, 2023 at 9:30am: Chessie Trail WildFlower Walk--gather at 9:30am at the Kiosk to start walking at 10am led by Peggy-Dyson Cobb of the Virginia Native Plants Society. The walk will be a minimum of two hours; folks are welcome to return to their cars whenever they need to. Please dress for the weather that day (we’ll go unless it is pouring rain) and bring water and a snack for yourself. To reach the kiosk from Lexington, take Rt. 11 north to Old Buena Vista Road (just after the Maury River Bridge), turn right and go 1/2 mile. Just after the Pure Oil sign, turn right into the Chessie Trail parking lot and take the walking path to the Kiosk. Or drive a bit further on Old BV and there are parking areas along both sides of the road.
- February 20, 2023 at 6pm: Join us for the Friends of the Chessie Trail Annual Meeting at 6pm Monday, February 20, at the Hillel House at 204 W. Washington Street (next to Grace Episcopal Church), with Jim Jones, Natural Bridge State Park manager, as our guest speaker.
- December 13, 2022 at 4pm: VMI’s Chessie Nature Trail Advisory Committee (CNTAC) will have its annual public meeting on December 13, 2022, at 4 pm in the Hinty Hall Conference room at VMI. The committee serves in an advisory capacity to the Superintendent of VMI. It seeks to provide “a balanced approach between trail users' and private landowners’ interests and a forum for continued community input in the safe and sustainable use of the trail’s natural and cultural resources.” The Friends of the Chessie Trail is one of those community groups. Come support our trail!
- December 3, 2022 at 11am: Join us for another geology walk on the Chessie Trail! We'll meet on December 3 at 11 am at the Lexington kiosk. W&L Professor Chris Conners will lead us on a 1.5-mile walk and discuss the geology of the trail. For more information, contact email@example.com.
- October 29, 2022: Annual Chessie Trail Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, & 26.2 Relay
- September 24, 2022 at 6:30-9pm: Join us for our Dance Hall & Potluck at the Jordan's Point Pavilion in Lexington. Live music by the McKenzies starts at 7pm.
- June 18, 2022 at 8pm: The Summer Solstice Walk returns to the Chessie Trail on Saturday, June 18th. Participants will meet at the end of Old Sheppard Road at 8pm where Elise Sheffield will lead us on a walk that highlights the changes that happen on the trail as day shifts into night. The best place to park is the lot at the "new" South River bridge.
- May 15, 2022 at 1pm: Bring your kiddos out for the 2nd annual free Kids Fun Run on the Chessie! Click here for more details and here to sign-up.
- March 6, 2022 at 1:30pm: Friends of the Chessie Trail and the Invasives Species Team of the Rockbridge Area Master Gardeners will be meeting on the Chessie Trail to pull invasive plants such as privet, barberry, honeysuckle, and garlic mustard. We will meet at the FOCT kiosk at the Lexington end of the trail. Bring gloves and clippers. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 24, 2022 at 7pm: Join us for the FOCT Annual Meeting. We'll be having this meeting via Zoom again this year; we'll send out the link a day or two prior to the meeting. We'll be voting on FOCT board members and officers. We'll also be sharing FOCT activities during 2021 and, we hope, some history about the Trail. In order to vote, you'll need to be a member of FOCT.
- November 30, 2021: Friends of the Chessie Trail is hosting a geology walk on the trail on Saturday November 13th. We will meet at the Buena Vista end of the trail at noon and walk towards South River.
- October 30, 2021: Annual Chessie Trail Marathon, Relay, Half Marathon, & 5K
- September 25, 2021 from 8-10am: Everyone is welcome to join Friends of the Chessie Trail and Rockbridge Bird Club for an early fall bird walk along the Buena Vista end of the Chessie Trail. We will meet at the parking lot off Stuartsburg Road (near the Route 60 Robey Bridge) and will walk in small groups led by experienced birders. This is an out-and-back trail; feel free to walk with us as long as you want! We encourage you to bring binoculars, good walking shoes, water, and masks. Be aware there are no restroom facilities along the trail.
- August 28, 2021 from 9am-3pm: Stop by the FOCT booth at the Rockbridge Community Festival in downtown Lexington.
- August 18, 2021 at 7pm: Come join the Friends of the Chessie Trail for a group dog walk Wednesday August 18th at 7pm. Meet at the kiosk with your pups of all ages to mark the dog days of summer. While using the trail, all pets must be on a leash, and please be considerate of the personal space of other walkers and canines.
Race the Chessie
The FOCT puts on an annual 5K, Half-Marathon, Marathon, and Marathon Relay exclusively run on the Chessie Trail every fall. We'd love for you to join us! Learn more and sign-up to take part in the fun here.
Website created by Laurel Worth Sheffield. © Friends of the Chessie Trail