Happening on the Chessie
Throughout the year, we put on a number of events for our community. With a selection ranging from bird watching to biking, we hope there's something that will pique your interest. In addition to the listing here, Chessie Trail events can be found on our Facebook page.
- December 13, 2022 at 4pm: VMI’s Chessie Nature Trail Advisory Committee (CNTAC) will have its annual public meeting on December 13, 2022, at 4 pm in the Hinty Hall Conference room at VMI. The committee serves in an advisory capacity to the Superintendent of VMI. It seeks to provide “a balanced approach between trail users' and private landowners’ interests and a forum for continued community input in the safe and sustainable use of the trail’s natural and cultural resources.” The Friends of the Chessie Trail is one of those community groups. Come support our trail!
- December 3, 2022 at 11am: Join us for another geology walk on the Chessie Trail! We'll meet on December 3 at 11 am at the Lexington kiosk. W&L Professor Chris Conners will lead us on a 1.5-mile walk and discuss the geology of the trail. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- October 29, 2022: Annual Chessie Trail Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, & 26.2 Relay
- September 24, 2022 at 6:30-9pm: Join us for our Dance Hall & Potluck at the Jordan's Point Pavilion in Lexington. Live music by the McKenzies starts at 7pm.
- June 18, 2022 at 8pm: The Summer Solstice Walk returns to the Chessie Trail on Saturday, June 18th. Participants will meet at the end of Old Sheppard Road at 8pm where Elise Sheffield will lead us on a walk that highlights the changes that happen on the trail as day shifts into night. The best place to park is the lot at the "new" South River bridge.
- May 15, 2022 at 1pm: Bring your kiddos out for the 2nd annual free Kids Fun Run on the Chessie! Click here for more details and here to sign-up.
- March 6, 2022 at 1:30pm: Friends of the Chessie Trail and the Invasives Species Team of the Rockbridge Area Master Gardeners will be meeting on the Chessie Trail to pull invasive plants such as privet, barberry, honeysuckle, and garlic mustard. We will meet at the FOCT kiosk at the Lexington end of the trail. Bring gloves and clippers. For more information, contact email@example.com.
- January 24, 2022 at 7pm: Join us for the FOCT Annual Meeting. We'll be having this meeting via Zoom again this year; we'll send out the link a day or two prior to the meeting. We'll be voting on FOCT board members and officers. We'll also be sharing FOCT activities during 2021 and, we hope, some history about the Trail. In order to vote, you'll need to be a member of FOCT.
- November 30, 2021: Friends of the Chessie Trail is hosting a geology walk on the trail on Saturday November 13th. We will meet at the Buena Vista end of the trail at noon and walk towards South River.
- October 30, 2021: Annual Chessie Trail Marathon, Relay, Half Marathon, & 5K
- September 25, 2021 from 8-10am: Everyone is welcome to join Friends of the Chessie Trail and Rockbridge Bird Club for an early fall bird walk along the Buena Vista end of the Chessie Trail. We will meet at the parking lot off Stuartsburg Road (near the Route 60 Robey Bridge) and will walk in small groups led by experienced birders. This is an out-and-back trail; feel free to walk with us as long as you want! We encourage you to bring binoculars, good walking shoes, water, and masks. Be aware there are no restroom facilities along the trail.
- August 28, 2021 from 9am-3pm: Stop by the FOCT booth at the Rockbridge Community Festival in downtown Lexington.
- August 18, 2021 at 7pm: Come join the Friends of the Chessie Trail for a group dog walk Wednesday August 18th at 7pm. Meet at the kiosk with your pups of all ages to mark the dog days of summer. While using the trail, all pets must be on a leash, and please be considerate of the personal space of other walkers and canines.
Race the Chessie
The FOCT puts on an annual 5K, Half-Marathon, Marathon, and Marathon Relay exclusively run on the Chessie Trail every fall. We'd love for you to join us! Learn more and sign-up to take part in the fun here.
Website created by Laurel Worth Sheffield. © Friends of the Chessie Trail